Until 1954 The First Baptist Church of Alexandria was a united
fellowship and a part of the larger fellowship of Southern Baptists. Then the
majority of the church membership voted to leave the Southern Baptist
Convention. A small group wished to
remain in the convention and so parted ways with that church
November 21, 1954
The first meeting of this group took place with 29 present.
January 9, 1955
A mission was organized under the sponsorship of the Trinity Baptist Church and their Pastor, Leo Drake.
Rev. Luther Fox became pastor of the mission, which was meeting in the high school until a lot was purchased.
The small mission group purchased a lot on Main Street, immediately west of U.S. 27.
April 29, 1956
The groundbreaking for the first unit, a basement, was held.
May 26, 1957
The first worship service was held in the new basement.
August 25, 1957
The mission was constituted into the Main Street Baptist Church with 61 charter members. The title of the property was transferred to The Main Street Baptist Church. Trustees were Cecil Brock, Wilbert Brown, Byron Henderson and Carol Scharfenberger.
Rev. Chase Jennings was called as Interim Pastor.
May of 1958
Rev. Merwyn Borders became pastor. He served for almost six years then left to become a missionary in New England.
Fall of 1960
The second stage of the building was an addition to the basement and a new heating system.
August 30, 1961
The third stage, the sanctuary and some educational space, was begun.
May 27, 1962
This space was occupied. This was possible because of the hundreds of hours of volunteer labor put into the building since its beginning. At that time the membership had grown to 212.
August 26, 1962
The church building was dedicated to the glory of God the Father, the honor of Jesus Christ His Son and to the praise of the Holy Spirit.
The church called Don Lam as pastor and he served until 1967.
A house and lot adjacent to the church was purchased, to be used as a parsonage.
January 1, 1968
Calvin A. Perry moved from the pastorate of the Bullitsburg Baptist Church to become pastor of the Main Street Congregation.
September 17, 1978
A new parsonage was dedicated. Members of the church did much of the construction. The old parsonage was razed and a parking lot constructed.
Another house and large lot were purchased. This house was used as a youth annex.
Never lacking a challenge, the long range planning committee of the church developed plans for the next needed facilities, a multi purpose educational building. The membership of the church was 549 at that time.
October 23, 1994
Our Family Life Center was dedicated at a service led by Calvin A. Perry and Dr. William W. Marshall. This unit added a modern kitchen, library, choir room, walking track and gymnasium. Later the youth annex was razed and parking space created.
Jerry Delaney was called as Interim Pastor in anticipation of Calvin A. Perry’s upcoming retirement in December. Jerry Delaney served as Interim Pastor from July 1997 until April 1998.
December 31, 1997
Calvin A. Perry retired after 30 years as Pastor of Main Street.
Troy Dobbs was called as Pastor of Main Street Baptist.
Main Street Baptist Church purchased approximately 22 acres on US 27, later named Main Street South, to be used for the purpose of relocating the growing congregation to allow for future expansion.
Troy Dobbs resigned as Pastor in lieu of a call to another church.
Associate Pastor Jerry Delaney was called as Interim Pastor.
Robert Franklin was called as Senior Pastor of Main Street.
Main Street moved to the new campus at 11093 Alexandria Pike.
March 3, 2019
Robert Franklin retired from Main Street after serving 17 years as the senior pastor.
March 10, 2019
Barry Peters was called as the senior pastor of Main Street.
June 20, 2022
Bill Edwards was called as the senior pastor of Main Street